Access and Functional Needs Resources
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/iema/localema/publishingimages/icon-functionalneedslarge.jpg
Following a year-long, statewide, grassroots project called Illinois Homeland Security Vision 2020, a series of town hall meetings that engaged all public safety disciplines, schools, elected officials, the private sector, and private citizens, Illinois updated its Homeland Security Strategy and established eight strategic priorities. Priority #4 is to ensure the whole community has the ability to prepare for, prevent, protect, and respond to an emergency or crisis situation and support the dissemination of crisis and disaster intelligence information to appropriate agencies to ensure the whole community has access to current, actionable information. The following information is designed to serve as a “one-stop shop” for resources to assist this process.
Local Access and Functional Needs Resources
Following are some examples of how local units of government in Illinois have implemented emergency operations plans that allow them to effectively include Access and Functional Needs in their planning.
Access and Functional Needs Best Practices
Following are some examples of best practices regarding including access and functional needs in plans.
Access and Functional Needs Toolkits and Training
Guidebooks, tips books, handbooks and trainings specifically related to functional and access needs exist at both the state and federal levels.
- ADA Best Practices Tool Kit for State and Local Governments
- ADA Checklist for Emergency Shelters
- ADA Guide for Local Governments
- Autism Guide for First Responders
- Autism Speaks Tool Kit
- Effective Emergency Preparedness Planning: Addressing the Needs of Employees with Disabilities
- Emergency Evacuation Planning Guide for People with Disabilities
- Emergency Planning and Preparedness for People with Disabilities
- Emergency Preparedness Packet for Home Health Agencies
- Field Manual for Mental Health and Human Service Workers in Major Disasters
- Functional and Access Needs (FAN) Handbook
- Gear Up, Get Ready: Individuals with Disabilities and Others with Access and Functional Needs Emergency Preparedness Resource Guide
- Guidance on Planning for Integration of Functional Needs Support Services in General Population Shelters
- IS-368: Including People With Disabilities & Others With Access & Functional Needs in Disaster Operations
- National Council on Disability—Emergency Management
- National Organization on Disability: Emergency Preparedness Initiative
- Niagara University Disability Training
- Tips for First Responders, 5th Edition